Thursday, April 30, 2015

My Home Tour (and How Perfectionism Rears Its Ugly Head)

Perfectionism: a disposition to regard anything short of perfection as unacceptable

I have had good intentions of adding photos to the "My Home" page (above) for a LONG time. After all, isn't that one of the most intriguing pieces on home design blogs? I know that my favorite design bloggers have styles that I admire and am inspired by, so photos of their homes are always one of the first things I look for.

Here's the catch, though. None of the rooms in my home are done to my satisfaction...NOT ONE! I realize that part of the fun of following design blogs is to share in the bloggers' progress, projects, and plans. But I feel so much pressure to show magazine-worthy, complete rooms! I have been paralyzed by my own perfectionism, and also by the fact that I used to be an Interior Designer.

My home doesn't look like any designer came within 10 miles of it. My excuses include, in no particular order:
lack of funds, low on the priority list, waxing/waning interest, no architectural character in the house, I'm not handy, as soon as "A", "B", "C" is done, and I'm just too tired...yada, yada, yada.

The truth is...yes, the house took a back seat to the kids' busy schedules as they grew up; no, we don't have an unlimited budget (dang it); and I left my design career behind long ago. But, at the end of the day, I will never be satisfied with my own home because I am a restless perfectionist (there...that confession is on the table, haha.)

In the interest of not having a blank "My Home" page any longer (after 9 months) these recent photos of my Hearth Room, among others, are now included on my home tour.



And I had a light bulb moment when deciding to finally take the plunge on this...blog pages are not static - they can be changed. In fact, that may even be the whole point...right? (Duh.)

Do you suffer from perfectionism? Did you feel any fear when creating a "home tour" page? I'd love to hear your story.....

Sharing with: Common Ground, Share Your Cup, Shabby Art Boutique, French Country Cottage, The Charm of Home, Ivy and Elephants, Between Naps on the Porch, Amaze Me Monday,

No comments:

Post a Comment