Monday, July 21, 2014

Crunchy Asian Sesame Salad

My husband is a great cook, and he enjoys doing it. Me...not so much.

The only problem is in the meals my hubby likes to cook, and eat. His favorites are all manly dishes that pair well with a sudsy brew and clog your arteries. Brats, pulled pork, hot wings...you get the idea.

As for me, I'm more of a rabbit-food lover.


(Don't give me any awards for healthy-eating, though, because I also have a problematic love of simple carbs and sugary beverages.) But when I do decide to prepare a meal, every eon or so, I prefer to cook light.

This weekend, I concocted a delicious salad by combining pieces and parts of a couple of different recipes and adding my own twist. It turned out really well, and even the household short-rib lover enjoyed it!


Here is my version of a Crunchy Asian Sesame Salad.


Shredded Cabbage
Romaine
1/4 C Cilantro
1 Pkg Oriental Ramen Noodle Soup Mix (uncooked)
3/4 C Peanuts
4 Scallions, Chopped
Grilled Chicken (Optional)
3 Tbsp Butter or Oil
2 Tbsp Sesame Seed

Dressing:
1/4 C Sugar
1/4 C Vinegar
1 Tbsp Oil
1/4 tsp Soy Sauce

Toss cabbage (I used about 3/4 bag of a pre-packaged mix) with romaine (also about 3/4 bag of a pre-packaged salad mix), scallions and cilantro. I also added 6 oz. pre-packaged grilled chicken, diced. (Notice all of the "pre-packaged" items...I told you that I don't cook much! Of course, you can always use fresh and that would be even better!)

Melt butter or oil in pan. Stir in ramen noodles (crushed), ramen seasoning and sesame seed. Brown for about 2 minutes over medium heat, stirring occasionally.

Mix dressing ingredients. Add peanuts, ramen mixture and dressing to salad. Toss well and enjoy!



Sharing with: A Stroll Thru Life, Domestically Speaking, Cedar Hill Farmhouse, Cozy Little House, Upcycled Treasures, Ivy and Elephants, Lamberts Lately, , Paper & Fox, DIY by Design, Well Groomed Home, Nancherrow, Shabby Art Boutique, French Country Cottage

10 comments:

  1. Looks delicious! I love this...great idea for a light summer meal...thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jodee! It is one I will definitely be making again!

      Delete
  2. Your photos are making me very hungry. I tried very hard today to eat lower calorie and it worked, but now I'm hungry. This recipe looks light and delicious and so tasty. Need to try it. Hope you had a wonderful week-end, Julie.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Julie, this looks DELICIOUS! I love Asian salad, but haven't found a perfect dressing at the grocery store. Yours looks so easy I'm going to try it! (And, could you send me your e-mail? It doesn't come through when you comment. Thanks!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Julie, this looks so yummy. Asian salad seems to be my go to salad right now when I go out but hardly ever make it at home your version looks so easy. I'm going to get the ingredients and make one for the weekend. Thanks for the reminder.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks delicious... my favorite type of salad! I'm featuring it in my Friday Features... thanks for linking up to Inspire Me Monday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for featuring it, Maryann!

      Delete
  6. Looks delicious and crispy. We're big fans of crispy salads! Thanks for sharing Julie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was really easy too, Michelle...the best kind of recipe ;)

      Delete