Wednesday, September 10, 2014

Bigger is Better

Often, the best things come in small packages, as the saying goes.

But there are definite instances where bigger really is better. Take interior design, for example.

There is a mistake that I repeatedly make when purchasing home accessories, and I wonder if any of you do the same? I tend to buy small items...too small to make much of an impression. This habit most likely developed because I am frugal to a fault. It's true...I have a hard time parting with my money! Consequently, Tammy Tightwad (yours truly) ends up buying lots of modestly-priced, small accessories. The problem this has created is that my home lacks the visual impact that a few larger, statement pieces would create.

The first step in changing an undesirable habit is recognizing it, right?

Alrighty then...Step One...check!

Step Two would logically be to keep my goals in mind while shopping, and resist that old urge to look only at the small, inexpensive pieces.


If you follow my blog, you know that I really enjoy a good estate or tag sale. It just so happens that I recently scored this wall plaque (above) at an estate sale for $8. OK, I know what you're thinking...$8 is still inexpensive! But stick with me for a minute... As with most of the pieces I pick up, I take them home without a solid vision of where they will go. I shop with my heart, not my head. Yes, it's true..."Impulse" is my middle name.

Tammy Impulse Tightwad.........mmmmm hmmmm.



This time, though, as I carried that wall plaque through my house, considering the options, I made a happy discovery. The plaque is very similar in style to the one I had made and hung in our master bath. Except the new one looks SO much better. See the difference? It's bigger, brighter, and fills the space...perfect!


I'd love to be able to say that this was orchestrated by the "bigger is better" plan, but honestly it just happened.
At any rate, I'm working on training my eye to shop for more dramatic home accessories from now on. Is anyone with me on my mission?


No comments:

Post a Comment