Thursday, September 22, 2016

A Mixed-Media Art Piece and Her Sisters

"Yes, I am unapologetically girly."

This quote is fun, cute, and appropriate for me...some of the time.  And other times, my style runs quite tailored, even bordering on austere.  That's what makes us women alluring, am I right?

Lately, I am finding so much joy in creating these charming pieces of art; and they are quite "girly."





But they could very easily be combined with other art in a collage that is not so gender-specific.  They would also add a soft, pretty touch to a more neutral-themed space.  After all, the mix is what often gives a room its personality and reflects its dwellers' uniqueness. 

Designing these floral still life pieces all began for me with this one that I wrote about before.  As I mentioned in that post, this gorgeous lithograph caught my eye in a Chicago antique store.  Once I got it home, the creative wheels started turning in my mind, and new delight was unleashed!  




There's just something about vintage jewelry...the sparkle and the nostalgia.  And on this lithograph, it adds dimension and interest and brings out the depth of beautiful colors in the art.  When this piece was complete, I was smitten!  Honestly, though, I considered this a one-of-a-kind item (well, it is that.)  But I hadn't planned to create more of these.  And then, I stumbled upon this piece while antique-shopping...


This time, I knew exactly what to do :)  The deep purple background lent direction to how I would finish it.  In this case, I decided to go bold and a bit more contemporary by using a wide, clean-lined frame and painting it.  




The jewelry I used for embellishment is a cheerful mix of shapes in yellow, green, and white hues.  This one is a small original oil painting, and you can see the layering and thickness of paint that was used.  It just radiates happiness, don't you agree?

Sooooo, what can I say about this next piece?


One more time, while browsing in an antique store (this time during a fun weekend in Des Moines as I attended a blogging conference) "she" spoke to me.  The retro vibes and lively colors of this pretty painting easily sold me.



I decided that the existing simple gold frame was perfect, and I left it alone.  I had some bold crystal brooches in pink and yellow that fit the scale of this larger piece.  From there, I played with shape and texture when adding more jewelry.



What do you think?  Would you use these in a collage?  Or hang them to make a unique statement on their own?

You can find this "Mixed-Media Art Piece and Her Sisters" in my Etsy shop:  RMDesignLoft 
Have a great week, Friends!

Julie


Sharing with: Thoughts of Home on Thursday, Vintage Charm, French Country Cottage, Shabby Art Boutique  , I Gotta Create, Between Naps on the Porch, StoneGable, A Stroll Thru Life, Domestically Speaking

 

No comments:

Post a Comment