Monday, February 17, 2014

Bathroom Facelift and a Mirror Makeover

My husband likes to tell people that all of the rooms in our house are smaller than they were when we moved in...because I paint so often. He has a point, I suppose.

He gave me a new tub/shower for Christmas.


Odd gift, you say? Well I was pretty excited about it, actually. Our old tub was the original to the house (about 20 years old) and was just grungy. No matter what amount of elbow grease or products I tried, I just couldn't bring back the sparkle. And it was jetted, which in this family meant less "ahhh" and more "gross, there's gunk in those jets". Sorry for the visual, but I can't lie.

Soooooo...the new tub/shower led to a new paint color (what was I thinking with that shade of blue anyway?) and a bathroom facelift. It's still a work in progress, but here is phase one of the project.


I absolutely loved these mirrors when I bought them years ago. But they don't fit the new vision for the room...so with a little creativity they will still work nicely.
Black paint to the rescue! I love a little (or a lot of) black in every room. It's both neutral and dramatic.
So I took a small brush which fit nicely into a groove of the mirror and I didn't have to tape anything off. I wanted to keep the beaded inside edge the silvery color. Just a careful sweep around the frame and voila!


I also found a home for the architectural plaque I created by antique-ing and embellishing a tag sale find. It's like
jewelry for the room, not to mention I applied an old piece of jewelry to it for bling!
Cozy Little House, StoneGable

5 comments:

  1. I totally understand why a new tub makes a fabulous gift!! Love what you've done so far with the mirrors. Adding jewelry to the plaque is such a great idea!
    Mary Alice

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the mirror transformation! What a great idea! I have a similar mirror and now you have inspired me!

    Happy day friend!
    karianen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for visiting, KariAnne. It means a lot to me!
      Julie

      Delete
  3. I love that color. You are correct about jets too.

    ReplyDelete