Sunday, June 8, 2014

Sun Porch Serenity


This pretty lady didn't always have it "going on". In fact, not long ago she looked like this...


I decided to do something more serene in here, starting with the floor color. And for those of you who follow along with me, you surely won't be surprised to learn that I chose green. But doesn't it make the room feel like it's spilling out into the yard? (At least until July or August when our yard is no longer green, but brown as the Sahara desert.)


Pardon the furniture in here...the sofa was a yard sale find, and it is THE most comfy piece, inducing sleep almost as soon as you sit down (displayed in that "before" photo by our greyhound, Mario.) And that chair, well, what it lacks in style it more than makes up for in comfort. Considering the amount of dust, dirt and dog hair that accumulates out here, these pieces are suitable enough. This rug is from Ballard Designs. The black grounds the room and lends some drama to the space.


The sunflower pillow was a placemat that my BFF whipped up for me. And the "Relax" pillow was a Hobby Lobby find. I wanted to incorporate that message in this space, so it is perfect.


I tried to invoke a garden theme out here but I have a confession...some of the plants are faux. I'm not going to reveal which ones, so I'll keep you guessing. The trellis, finial and watering can carry the theme throughout the room.


This dresser was purchased from an antique shop for my daughter's nursery when she was born. (She is 24 now so it's been with us for awhile!) Every item on this dresser was found at a tag sale or flea market with the exception of the urn (Anthropologie.) And for the record, the orchid is real. My son gave it to me for Mother's Day...to replace the one he gave me the previous Mother's Day, which I killed. He says I get a second chance, haha.


This little table and chairs used to sit in our kitchen, but it works really nicely out here now. You can read about the wall decor in my last post (here).


I took some cuttings from our hostas and penstemons and brought out the antique garden tools to create a centerpiece. Now the porch is ready for hours and hours of summer relaxation.


Sharing with...
Amaze Me Monday, Revisionary Life, Between Naps on the Porch, Domestically Speaking, A Stroll Thru Life, Cedar Hill Farmhouse, Cozy Little House, Upcycled Treasures, Coastal Charm, Ivy and Elephants, A Delightsome Life, Lamberts Lately, Life in Velvet
Nancherrow, From My Front Porch to Yours, Shabby Art Boutique, French Country Cottage, Pieced Pastimes, A Joyful Cottage

38 comments:

  1. Your porch looks beautiful! I would pick green too. I love the rug and the side table a lot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Carla. I think it's a great improvement over the red!

      Delete
  2. I love the choice of green, and I love the photo of your dog relaxing on the sofa. That's hilarious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Su. He lays like that all the time. I still laugh every time he does :)

      Delete
  3. This looks lovely and peaceful, Julie! You really do have a way of making a space look comfortable and inviting. Thanks for sharing...it gave me some ideas for my own home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jodee. I am anxious to spend some time out there. Good luck with your projects, too!

      Delete
  4. I love your room, Julie! The green works perfectly to calm and ground the space. I really like how the vignette on the table turned out - I think it's my favorite, but I'm partial to gardening stuff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rita. I am not surprised that you like the gardening vignette...you have the most beautiful yard and gardens!!

      Delete
  5. Green is making a come back and I just love the pop of green with the table in the sitting room. So pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi, Julie. The dark green floor color is an excellent choice as you are right -- it flows from the grass. The whole space is so warm and inviting and I am happy that you recycled some pieces with a bit of history to them for new uses. I would sit out there with you and drink that glass of wine we need to have again!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think we should have a "Class Tribe" reunion on my porch, Dana...with Mirassou wine, of course ;)

      Delete
  7. Julie, what a wonderfully relaxing space you have created. I would stay out there as long as possible - napping with Mario who seems to have that trick down pat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Donna, Mario and I sometimes have to compete for space on that comfy couch! It's a good place to nap for sure. Thanks for visiting :)

      Delete
  8. this has a much more relaxing vibe in here without those red floors. the green is subtle and neutral, and you are right, flows nicely into the yard. enjoy your new space!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was so excited when I painted that floor from bare concrete to red years ago. Now I just couldn't wait to get rid of that color, haha! The green is much more calming. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  9. Lovely space! And your greyhound photo cracked me up. :) The antique garden tool and pea pod vignette is wonderful. Thanks so much for sharing this at Revisionary Life Thrifty Life Thursday! I'm going to feature you tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh what I wouldn't give to have a sun room - where I could lay on that couch - kick my feet up and read read read !
    Love it Julie - especially that dresser ! ( and beautiful carpet choice )
    That pillow is beckoning to me right now
    XOX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the lovely comments, Suzan. I do enjoy reading on that couch (if I can stay awake long enough!)

      Delete
  11. Lovely, Julie. What a pleasant room to relax in. I think you picked a great color for the floor, and--I really like your yard sale sofa!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I appreciate your stopping by, Heather :)

      Delete
  12. Hi Julie,

    So nice to meet you! I'm visiting via Kathy's today and your title captured my curiosity! Your sun porch is serene in green, indeed. I love the colour and design of your olive-y green side table and the lovely views to your garden. Enjoyed reading about the process of this pretty and practical room.

    Poppy@www.poppyview.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to meet you, too, Poppy! I love Kathy's blog, and I appreciate your visiting from there :)

      Delete
  13. Hi Julie,

    What a fun place to relax.
    I love the color selection.
    The black rug is beautiful
    in the room and the couch
    looks comfortable.

    Bear Hugs,
    Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your porch looks fabulous! I love the green floor. I'm wanting to do something new with a lot of my house, including my sunroom. I think I can get some inspiration from your room.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope I was able to get your creativity sparked, TaMara :)

      Delete
  15. What a relaxing spot to curl up with a book, or even take a nap (I think your pooch would agree) I love the button back sofa and pillows, and especially that antique dresser. Thanks for sharing at Fridays Unfolded!

    Alison
    Nancherrow

    ReplyDelete
  16. just love the dog relaxing on the sofa. I also love your garden that I can see through the window. What a lovely spot to sit and look outside
    Janice

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It helps that my neighbor's hobby is gardening and we can see her yard from our sun porch ;)

      Delete
  17. Replies
    1. Thank you, Carmody. And I love your name :)

      Delete
  18. Your sun porch is absolutely delightful, and what a wonderful view of your beautiful yard! Love the rug. What a great place to be able to relax!
    Mary Alice

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Mary Alice. It is a comfy spot when the weather is nice.

      Delete
  19. Congrats-you're one of this week's features at Fridays Unfolded!

    Alison
    Nancherrow

    ReplyDelete
  20. Looks like a great place to relax! I'm certain the dog agrees. lol! Love the green floors and the vintage garden tools have me drooling. I have a couple red ones, which I love, but those green are darn sweet! Visiting from Every Room in the House party.
    hugs,
    Jann

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always appreciate your stopping by, Jann, and your kind comments :)

      Delete