Sunday, June 8, 2014

Sun Porch Serenity


This pretty lady didn't always have it "going on". In fact, not long ago she looked like this...


I decided to do something more serene in here, starting with the floor color. And for those of you who follow along with me, you surely won't be surprised to learn that I chose green. But doesn't it make the room feel like it's spilling out into the yard? (At least until July or August when our yard is no longer green, but brown as the Sahara desert.)


Pardon the furniture in here...the sofa was a yard sale find, and it is THE most comfy piece, inducing sleep almost as soon as you sit down (displayed in that "before" photo by our greyhound, Mario.) And that chair, well, what it lacks in style it more than makes up for in comfort. Considering the amount of dust, dirt and dog hair that accumulates out here, these pieces are suitable enough. This rug is from Ballard Designs. The black grounds the room and lends some drama to the space.


The sunflower pillow was a placemat that my BFF whipped up for me. And the "Relax" pillow was a Hobby Lobby find. I wanted to incorporate that message in this space, so it is perfect.


I tried to invoke a garden theme out here but I have a confession...some of the plants are faux. I'm not going to reveal which ones, so I'll keep you guessing. The trellis, finial and watering can carry the theme throughout the room.


This dresser was purchased from an antique shop for my daughter's nursery when she was born. (She is 24 now so it's been with us for awhile!) Every item on this dresser was found at a tag sale or flea market with the exception of the urn (Anthropologie.) And for the record, the orchid is real. My son gave it to me for Mother's Day...to replace the one he gave me the previous Mother's Day, which I killed. He says I get a second chance, haha.


This little table and chairs used to sit in our kitchen, but it works really nicely out here now. You can read about the wall decor in my last post (here).


I took some cuttings from our hostas and penstemons and brought out the antique garden tools to create a centerpiece. Now the porch is ready for hours and hours of summer relaxation.


Sharing with...
Amaze Me Monday, Revisionary Life, Between Naps on the Porch, Domestically Speaking, A Stroll Thru Life, Cedar Hill Farmhouse, Cozy Little House, Upcycled Treasures, Coastal Charm, Ivy and Elephants, A Delightsome Life, Lamberts Lately, Life in Velvet
Nancherrow, From My Front Porch to Yours, Shabby Art Boutique, French Country Cottage, Pieced Pastimes, A Joyful Cottage