Saturday, May 31, 2014

Resin Wall Plaque Goes Green

I've been slaving away over here giving our sunroom a refresh. I didn't originally set out to try to complete this re-do on a tag sale budget, but once I started getting on a roll I decided to challenge myself. After all, it is the season for finding "treasures" at rock-bottom prices, and I'm a lady who loves to spend my Saturday mornings on the hunt with a Frappuccino in one hand and a couple of dollars in the other! So very soon, I will reveal my sunroom in all of its newfound glory.

But, I did have this resin wall plaque just hanging around (an inexpensive tag sale find from long ago) so I did a little experimenting with it.


I took 3 different acrylic paint colors - 2 shades of green and a brown, and I alternately loaded my paintbrush with two or three colors at a time to get a varied effect. I painted the whole plaque this way and then finished with a walnut gel stain...I brushed that on in sections and immediately removed most of it with a paper towel.




The piece of art hanging below it is something I wish I could take some kind (ANY kind) of credit for. But that is a piece that I bought at a tag sale a couple of years ago for only $15. Yes, I remember how much I paid for it, because I think it may have been the bargain of the decade! And yes, I do spend a LOT of Saturday mornings at these sales :)


I am still finishing up some projects in the room and hope to have it wrapped up in a week or so.

And for those of you who have been following along with our bird soap opera, here is the final installment on that story...
Mrs. Finch kept trying to sit on the nest, even after it was apparent to the robins and the Reinwalds that the four baby robins were the only living inhabitants in there. It was overflowing with birds!



It is still a mystery to me what happened to that finch egg? And sadly, I think Mrs. Finch may have met her fate when the neighborhood cat left a "gift" for us on the porch.

Of the four baby robins, the first one left the nest a little prematurely, and after spending an entire day wandering around our front yard and being worried-over by its parents and us, its very short life ended. The next one left without our knowledge, so I can only hope it made it.

Baby #3 jumped, hopped across our driveway looking pretty strong and ready...and from there I hope it flew away.


And then there was one. Baby #4 seems perfectly content to stay in that roomy nest and let its mom bring all of the worms exclusively to it. It's been there all day today and doesn't seem to be in a rush to hit the road...


The clean-up crew is getting a little anxious, though...



Sharing at Pieced Pastimes, Nifty Thrifty Things, Twigg Studios
, Dwellings, Between Naps on the Porch, The Dedicated House, Domestically Speaking, A Stroll Thru Life, Confessions of a Plate Addict, Cozy Little House, Ivy and Elephants, Share Your Cup Thursday, Lamberts Lately, Paper Bag Styling, Life in Velvet, Shabby Art Boutique, Redoux Interiors