Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Front Porch Awakening

It's been a long winter for many of us. And just about the time we think we've turned the proverbial corner, we get hit with torrential rain and temps barely hovering above the 40-degree mark (with wind chills of 33, no less!)
Well, guess what, Mother Nature? This lady is gonna fight back! (Read as "stay in denial" haha.)

I had already planted all of my pots with flowers...

I had begun to arouse the sad front porch from its winter sleep...

And I had created a small "masterpiece" for our front door.

Awhile back, I had "beefed up a wreath" (you can read more about that here.) Now that little wreath is suspended playfully on a door basket that I filled with branches, moss and faux flower and butterfly stems.

But Mrs. Robin is not happy with my activity on the porch! She has created her own cozy perch on our light and would very much prefer that we keep clear while she brings her young ones into this world.

Usually the purple finches beat her to the light fixtures each Spring. I noticed that they have been hovering around the porch but, as of yet, had not begun to build their own nest. Then, upon further inspection, I discovered something amazing! There are 4 large dark blue eggs in the nest, and one smaller light blue egg.

It looks like Mrs. Robin decided to rent out space to the finches this year! Have you ever seen anything like this?

I think this is one of those beautiful gifts that so often go unnoticed in our society's hectic modus operandi. I am grateful that today I uncovered something so special.

"In all things of nature there is something of the marvelous." -Aristotle

Sharing with: StoneGable, Coastal Charm, Ivy and Elephants, Cozy Little House, A Southern Daydreamer, Lamberts Lately, Revisionary Life, The Dedicated House, A Delightsome Life, Share Your Cup, French Country Cottage, Shabby Art Boutique, Addicted 2 DIY, Pieced Pasttimes, Dwellings The Heart of Your Home, Nancherro