Sunday, May 25, 2014

Survival of the Fittest?

This has turned into a glorious Spring, bursting with gorgeous scents and colors. Here is a glimpse of the unfolding of flowers and bushes around our yard. The lilacs and irises are especially treasured because they are so short-lived.

And to update you on our front-porch bird sanctuary...here is Mrs. Robin giving me a warning glare as I water the flowers and try to snap photos of her babies. (See my last post about the cohabiting robin and finch here.)


Day One...not so attractive.

Day Two...HUNGRY kids.

Day Three...look at the little feathers forming, and those huge beaks!

Day Four...getting bigger, but still all beak, haha.

I'm worried, though. As you can see in these photos, there is no sign of any baby finch or egg now. I'm not sure if it got smothered by the robins (survival of the fittest) or if by some stroke of luck it is still in there. Poor Mrs. Finch still sits on that nest as often as Mrs. Robin will allow. I hope she knows something that I don't...I guess time will tell and nature will take its course.

While I can, I'll savor the sights and smells that surround me.

Sharing with Dwellings The Heart of Your Home, Smile for No Reason