Monday, January 9, 2017

Turner Bubble Mirror

Happy New Year, Friends! 

Have you cleared all the glitter and pine needles from your homes by now?  Many times, when our rooms have been bedecked with holiday dressings for several weeks, they feel stark and empty after we pack the ornaments away.  It takes a little adjusting to appreciate our everyday décor again.  But, I find this the perfect time to look at my rooms with fresh eyes.

I have SO many design projects on the docket for 2017!  These rooms are very tired, dated, and ready for new life.  The "biggie" will be our Master Bedroom.  Have you ever noticed that there are zero photos of our bedroom(s) on this blog?  Well, there is a very good reason for that, haha!  As soon as progress gets underway in the Master, I'll be shamelessly humbly revealing a "before" photo.

In the meantime, though, there are lots of smaller facelifts going on around here.  I may have mentioned that I'm trying to update my design style and replace some Neoclassic/Vintage items with fresh looks.  Don't get me wrong...I'm all about a great period piece, and my style will ALWAYS be an eclectic mix.  But, I'm really ready to interject some modern lines and statements into our spaces.  In fact, toys are not the only Christmas gift I bought myself this year (see previous post if that sentence piqued your curiosity.)

A couple of months ago, I was perusing one of my favorite antique stores looking for bits and bobs for Etsy projects, when I spotted a Turner Bubble Mirror (insert heart eyes emoji here!)  My heart skipped a few beats, but I walked away after I looked at the price tag, as it was definitely over my self-imposed budget.  The vision of that mirror was planted in my head, though, and weeks later I told myself that I'd return to the shop...if the mirror was still there, that meant it should come home with me.

And.............


Plus, the consignor offered me a 20% discount - Yea!  It was still a splurge, for sure, but I knew that the mirror would have good staying power and could adapt to many future rooms and styles.

Here is what little I have been able to learn about it on the web:

The Turner Manufacturing Company was located in Chicago, IL and went out of business in 1975.  At one point, Turner was the largest producer of low-cost prints of "old masters" and mirrors, which were sold at department stores and "Five-and-Dimes."  (via quirksbyannie)


I'm not sure if I got a deal or if I gave away the farm.  Either way, I love this mirror and don't have a drop of buyer's remorse.  That being said, there are a couple of things that were actually better about the mirror that used to hang in this spot, haha.  It was larger and filled the space better; and it reflected what is in the room (which made for prettier photos.)



But, the "bubbles" of the Turner Bubble Mirror really reflect (no pun intended) the shape of the convex mirrors that hang above our sectional, as seen in a photo from earlier last fall (hence, the pumpkins and acorns.)


I think this new mirror elevates the look of these two spaces.  It's industrial, chic, and modern, all at the same time.  It reminds me of something that would be produced by a car manufacturer, do you agree?


Thanks for stopping by to see my new mirror.  Next week we're off to Havana, Cuba for a few days, so hopefully I'll have plenty of great photos to share with you when we return!

Julie


Sharing with:  Between Naps on the Porch, Vintage Charm, Life on Lakeshore Drive, Sundays at Home, Between Naps on the Porch, The Scoop, Inspire Me Tuesday, Inspire Me Monday

No comments:

Post a Comment