Thursday, May 4, 2017

One Room Challenge - Finishing Touches


There's nothing like the final weeks of the One Room Challenge to make sane people turn into wackadoodles who don't sleep, can't make decisions, and run around willy-nilly trying to find the exact-right accessory pieces they envision for their spaces!  Well, ok, that's probably just me, haha.  Actually, I've seen many of my One Room Challenge cohorts skating to the finish line in perfect designer form, having created much more elaborate projects than I have.

Can you believe I'm already scheming in my mind about how to "up" my game for the next challenge?  Yes, I digress...

As it turns out, even though this master bedroom project is without many bells and whistles or custom details, I love how it is turning out.  It truly reflects my style.  In fact, there have been times throughout this process when I tried to push myself out of my comfort zone (which is often a good thing!)  But I kept returning to what is inherently "me" - solid colors, classic accessories with a touch of feminine glam, and always black ;)

So today I'm giving you a peek into how everything is taking shape, without spoiling the final reveal - which happens next week!


Here is a shot of Hubby's side of the bed, which I tried to keep a bit more masculine than my side will be.  It's hard to tell in this photo, but the star is mirrored so it reflects light, especially when the lamp is turned on.  And, seriously, can we just talk about these lamps?  OMG, they are my favorite pieces in the whole room!  They are from Gilt and, when lit, cast such a beautiful glow onto the marble bases.  I was worried there wouldn't be sufficient light for reading through those opaque brass shades.  Honestly, though, I loved them so much that I decided we'd just have to adapt if they were prettier than functional.  Luckily, they are working out fine.

The succulents give some life to all of the hard edges, and I think I might even be able to keep them alive since this spot is adjacent to a South-facing window - win/win!  I have them corralled on an iron and mirror tray, in case of drips when watering.  Plus, the tray echoes the mirror of the star above it.  Aren't the pots good-looking?  They are both from Hobby Lobby! It just goes to show that you can find great design almost anywhere, if you have the eye and the patience to search. 


 Here is a portion of a gallery wall that is coming together.  The piece in the center with circles of color, from West Elm was part of what inspired this room's color scheme.  It also adds some brightness with its white background and frame, and it gives a modern hint as well.  I used to have a phobia about combining white and ivory together in a room - I was such a color "purist."  Our carpet and upholstered part of the new headboard are ivory, so it caused me a little anxiety to throw bright white in here (silly, isn't that?)  Once I did, though, I could see the value of white adding crispness and light; and the contrast makes everything pop.

I previously gave you a peek at the vintage mirror that I painted raspberry.  You can see my hubby's side of the bed reflected in it.  The chair prints were purchased at a local shop, and I love that they display who I am - a former Interior Designer (and chair collector, haha!  Luckily, these chairs take up much less space than the ones I find at estate and tag sales and can't resist bringing home!) 

  
 The black and gold plaques were thrifted locally as well.  And the piece that looks like a Spirograph drawing is from Art.com.  There are several reasons why I am in love with this art.  From a design standpoint, the circle shape echoes the circles and colors in the West Elm art and has that nice white background again.  And from an emotional standpoint, it evokes happy feelings for me.  You see, my daughter gave me a Spirograph set for Christmas and she said, "When I saw this in the store, I knew you would love it!"  She was right, because it brings back good memories of my childhood, creating all of those cool Spirograph designs.  But, more importantly, it showed me how well she knows me and how much thought she put into purchasing that gift for me.  I smile every time I glance at this piece of art on the wall :)

Well, Friends, there continues to be a lot going on behind the scenes here.  I still have a table to paint in the next couple of days - yikes!  And there will be final "fluffing" happening before next Thursday's big reveal.  Wish me luck, and please drop by next week to see the full transformation!

Julie

No comments:

Post a Comment