Sunday, August 24, 2014

Enhancing the Entryway

Have any of you ever fallen into the (sometimes-false) train of thought that you should paint a small, dark area in a light color? Well, that's exactly what I had done in my very small, very dark entryway. I painted everything white, thinking that would be the solution. And it stayed white for almost 10 years.


Yes, it was lighter, that's true. But, oh my, it was still SO boring...and sad. So I did some brainstorming. Since our entryway opens to our living room where the color scheme is neutrals with pops of green, I decided to go bold and paint the front door green (and believe me, this is not a quiet shade of green.) Actually, the outside of the door is already a bright, fun green, so why not paint both sides the same color? Brilliant! And NOT boring ;)

I took some inspiration from one of my favorite bloggers. Jennifer at Dimples and Tangles has infused her home with beauty, personality and color (including some gorgeous shades of jade and emerald. Check out the dining room hutch in her home tour!)

Because my door was white, I had to apply several coats of paint to cover it. (OK, it took 5 coats...but who's counting?) And now I am loving this choice! What a difference it has made in elevating the personality of the space.


Well, I couldn't just stop there, right? I also decided to zhuzh-up the little vignette on our stairway landing. I moved a photo of our favorite dancer ;) and replaced it with a frame that had been gathering dust in a closet. Since I believe that every area of the house benefits from the natural color and texture of greenery, a wreath seemed to be the perfect addition to the frame. See how it breathes life into the hard surfaces?


And I brought in some hydrangeas from the garden. They will look even better as they start to dry and wear their Autumn colors. Even though it is still as hot as ever here in the Midwest, I pulled out my gilded acorns in anticipation of cooler months ahead.


This tray was a Homegoods gem that I snatched up as soon as I laid my eyes on it. It will likely move from room to room in our house, as it will work well in so many settings. The fleur de lis finial was a tag sale find and will also relocate in time, no doubt.


The candle sconce has been with us for at least 12 or 15 years. When I bought it, I thought it was really artsy and chic. I guess I'm still not ready to part with it. And the greyhound sculpture...well, what can I say? Do other dog owners buy replicas of their "best friends" too? I just couldn't resist when I spotted it in an antique shop. It was probably over-priced, but as a greyhound mom, I just had to have it!


I'm pleased with this area so far. But you know how one project almost inevitably leads to another?


Yeah, so stay tuned for more entryway updates...as soon as my husband gets over the shock of this new door color!

Sharing with A Delightsome Life, Between Naps on the Porch, StoneGable, A Stroll Thru Life, Cozy Little House, Coastal Charm, Domestically Speaking, Upcycled Treasures, Elizabeth & Co, Lamberts Lately, Share Your Cup Thursday, Ivy and Elephants, Life in Velvet, The Charm of Home, Nancherrow, Shabby Art Boutique, Redoux Interiors, French Country Cottage, Simple Details, Natasha in Oz,

No comments:

Post a Comment