Wednesday, September 3, 2014

Fall Color on the Mantel

Where did summer go?

I recently read a tip from Sarah Ban Breathnach, in her book "Simple Abundance", that suggested that you write a list of all of the things you wanted to do over the summer but didn't accomplish. Then you are to save the list and open it on the first day of next June and make the postponed-items a priority.

Well, I would need an entire journal for my list! Seriously, I don't feel like summer even came this year...

We didn't take a vacation, or even a stay-cation...we hardly ate any grilled foods, melon, or corn on the cob...and I didn't put a bathing suit on once! How sad is all of that? (OK, maybe I'm not that sad about the bathing suit part, haha.)

And here we are in September already!

But the good news is that Fall is probably my favorite decorating season, so I decided to quit crying over spilled lemonade and get a start on re-fluffing the house over the long weekend.


The fireplace mantel in our hearth room is usually one of the first spots I decorate in our home. I often like to use an asymmetrical design because it tends to be a bit more casual and non-traditional. I decided to go with one wreath rather than two (sometimes I hang one on each window.) This twig wreath was one I had made last year, but I added a few orange berries to punch up the color just a bit.


The wreath's height was balanced by using an urn filled with long stems of leaves and branches.


This piece of art was bought at a local consignment shop last year. I like its masculine feel and dark-edged frame and matting. (At first, I wasn't a fan of the shape of the mat board...I felt like it was trying too hard or something, and I considered changing it. But I think it might be growing on me.)


The faux pumpkin and large faux gourd bring out the pretty seasonal orange tones, and the spray of leaves and berries add some texture and deeper reds. And speaking of texture, this large pinecone really echoes the masculine feel of the artwork and the smaller pinecones in the wreath above it.


Now that the mantel is dressed for the season, I'm ready to move on to the living room and front porch.


Happy decorating, everyone!

Sharing with Ivy & Elephants, City Farmhouse, DIY by Design, Paper & Fox, Addicted 2 DIY, The Charm of Home, Nancherrow, French Country Cottage, Shabby Art Boutique, At the Picket Fence, Natasha in Oz, Pieced Pastimes, Vintage Paint and More, Dwellings The Heart of Your Home, The Journey Back, Domestically Speaking, Cozy Little House, A Stroll Thru Life, Confessions of a Plate Addict, The Dedicated House

No comments:

Post a Comment