Sunday, September 14, 2014

Seasonal Subtleties

Are you feeling the Fall vibes yet? The weather has been very fickle here in the Midwest...one day it's 90 degrees and the next, it's 55! It seems that Mother Nature is having some serious mood swings this year.

But everywhere you look, the season's wares abound. Sweaters and boots are appearing in the stores, Fall decor overflows in craft and gift shops, and pumpkin-spice drinks are being served in coffee shops all around.

This year, I stayed with a fairly conventional approach in decorating my family room mantel, using orange pumpkins, gourds and leaves. But for the rest of my seasonal decor, I took a more subtle approach.

In the living/dining area, where the color scheme is neutrals with green, I interjected metallic pumpkins, pinecones, and hydrangeas into my vignettes.



Here, you can see that I created a centerpiece using vertical shapes - finials and faux thistle in a wire cloche. Varying heights, shapes and textures give visual interest where bright colors are absent. Soft green hydrangeas from my garden and faux gourds invoke a seasonal feeling.



On the coffee table, a shining metallic pumpkin rests on a bed of dried beans and peas to further the theme of texture and quiet color. Greenery adds interest and movement, while large pinecones compliment the bronze color of the pumpkin. The silver crown is one of my favorite accessories and often travels from place to place in our home. I enjoy the juxtaposition of shiny metallics with heavy texture for lots of visual appeal.



Another favorite accent, this hand holds a glittery green pumpkin for Fall this year. I love the whimsy it adds to every season when a special item is placed in its palm.



A greenhouse continues the room's subtle seasonal story as it shows off more gorgeous hydrangeas and a silver pumpkin. Our hydrangea bush has been very generous this year, and I am reaping the rewards in my Fall decorating. More pinecones echo the texture of the tabletop, and the "home" message adds a cozy touch.


Back in our family room, where orange is in the spotlight, the wall vases are dressed sparingly with pheasant feathers, branches and faux flower pods.



And I have to add one more photo of the mantel in here because I brought in some gold gazelles and just needed to show them off.


It's almost time to light some apple- and cinnamon-scented candles and get cozy...it won't be long until the nights are chilly and the air is crisp.

Sharing with Houseologie, Dwellings The Heart of Your Home, Distressed Donna Down Home, Rustic & Refined, Between Naps on the Porch, The Dedicated House, Cozy Little House, Coastal Charm, My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia, Cedar Hill Farmhouse, A Stroll Thru Life, Ivy and Elephants, Share Your Cup, Shabby Art Boutique, French Country Cottage, Nancherrow, The Charm of Home, Fine Craft Guild, New House New Home New Life, Simple Details

No comments:

Post a Comment