Wednesday, April 19, 2017

One Room Challenge - Out with the Old

Welcome back, Friends!  Thanks for stopping by to check on my One Room Challenge progress.  I hope you've been able to visit some of the other featured and guest bloggers who are busy working on their room transformations.  There are some really amazing projects happening out there!  And I'd love to thank Linda from Calling It Home for creating, organizing, and hosting this twice-yearly Challenge!
As promised, I'm first going to share the funny story I mentioned last time.  OK, please take a look at the photo of the ceiling fan/light below.........does anything look strange about it?


It originally had 5 blades!  If you remember, I had mentioned that I was questioning the need to replace that fixture for this challenge.  My hubby really enjoys having a fan in the bedroom.  Also, though, let me note here that our greyhound is deathly afraid of ceiling fans.  Weird, I know.  He is a rescue racer, so we think there may have been loud fans in the kennels where the hounds were boarded, but that's just our theory.  At any rate, we don't run the fans in the house because it causes him so much anxiety!  So, that could have been reason enough to replace this fixture.  However, a couple of months ago we noticed that one of the blades seemed to be hanging a little lower than the others.  After inspection, we could see that the metal piece that attaches the blade to the fan had been broken, so it was connected precariously at that point. My hubby then remembered having heard a "pop" sound when he last dusted the fan, so we figured he had accidentally broken it.  He took blade #1 off of the fan.  Well, as if that wasn't enough to convince me to start shopping for a new light....

While we were dog-sitting our daughter and son-in-law's greyhound, Cougar, (yes, we both have greyhounds and they look like they could be siblings, haha) she was on the foot of our bed one night as we had settled in to watch some tv.  She is quite the little diva and pretty much commands the household when she is here, claiming her position at the foot of our bed.  As I said, we were relaxing in bed when, all of a sudden, another one of the fan blades abruptly came crashing down on her.  She bolted upright in terror; and once I figured out what had happened, I just started laughing hysterically.  Poor dog...she really got a rude awakening that night!  But it was clear that we would be getting a pretty new light for our bedroom :)  And here it is...


I wanted something that was decorative but not too fussy.  The new headboard for this room has an industrial look, and the other furniture pieces are black with a somewhat masculine feel.  We don't use the overhead lighting a lot, so it was really more about "form over function."  I had several fixtures chosen, but budget did play into my final decision (boo, hiss, budgets!)  I selected the West Elm Mobile Chandelier in a combination Antique Bronze and Antique Brass finish, which was reasonably-priced and fit my vision for the room.  It is going to look really great with the new furniture.
Below, is what it looks like in the freshly painted room.  I am so pleased with this paint color, too!  It's called Spanish Parador from Clark and Kensington.  It is a very muted mocha-color with just enough of a plum cast to give it personality.  Paint colors can be so difficult, right?  I was looking for a "dirty" plum, and I think I nailed it with this one!  It envelopes the room in moodiness, but it also creates a great background for pops of color.


Here, you can see that I am gradually gathering art and pillow covers for this project, which are sitting on that leather chair.  The plants went out to the sun porch this weekend, where they will stay until about October...keeping houseplants alive and healthy is always a juggling act since we have brutal winters here in Nebraska.  They do so much better out on the porch with some humidity.  But during the winter months, we have to bring all of them inside.


And, finally, here are the window shades I selected to replace those outdated vinyl vertical blinds.  They are Hunter Douglas Provenance Woven Woods in fabric, Aspen, and color, Fireside Retreat.  I chose to order them without any black-out lining, so they filter the light but don't block it.  I had to make sure that the hubs was ok with that.  He prefers to sleep in a dark room, and I like having a little light coming in.  But he said that he didn't care, so I hastily ordered before he could change his mind ;)  Our neighbors' house is pretty close to ours, but their windows aren't placed directly across from ours.  If it ever becomes a problem, though, we can always add some simple pull shades behind these, but I don't think we'll have to resort to that.  I also opted to order the shades without valances, which gives them a straight, clean look.  The goal was simplicity and lots of texture, which was achieved perfectly with these shades. 


Here is a sneak peek at a painting project that is going on for this room. Right now, I'm frantically trying to put together all of the accessories, bedding, and art.  I hope you'll stop back next week to see our new furniture pieces.  The weeks are flying by! 

Julie


Sharing with:  Calling It Home, Vintage Charm, Between Naps on the Porch

No comments:

Post a Comment