Thursday, April 24, 2014
I have been nominated for the Liebster Award! For those of you who don't know about this award, it is a little like the Welcome Wagon of blogging :)
The sweet, beautiful and talented blogger, LeeLee of Paper Bag Styling nominated me. She and I connected because of blogging, and she has been an inspiration and supporter for me as I've begun my blogging journey. Be sure to stop by her blog and see what she's all about!
(Why did you start blogging?) I started blogging because I thought it would be an impetus to my getting more projects done and because I needed to push myself to learn better technology skills. I also wanted to be more creative, and blogging is a great platform.
(What is a secret talent you have?) A secret talent I have is remembering old phone numbers (pretty useless) and old song artists (also useless.)
(What do you do when you have free time?) When I have free time I love to "poke around" at antique stores, garage sales and flea markets. I can also get pretty lost in a good bookstore.
(What is your favorite color?) I don't think I can choose just one. I love green for interiors. I also love purple. I wear tons of black. There are just too many beautiful colors to pick from!
(What is your favorite T.V. show?) My favorite T.V. show is Parenthood!!! I never miss it...it's such a great show! I'm also a fan of The Big Bang Theory, HGTV and Ellen.
(What is one thing that makes you actually LOL-laugh out loud?) The one thing that makes me LOL is the way my dog sleeps
(What time of day do you blog/network/social media?) I do these activities on and off throughout the day. I used to fret that my kids spent too much time doing this, and now I'm just as guilty!
(What is your favorite accessory?) For clothing, it is vintage rhinestone brooches, and for interiors, it is jeweled picture frames and architectural mouldings.
(What is the most recent book you've read...or magazine? LOL) I'm in a book club (which is one of my favorite monthly girls' nights out!) We just read "If It's Not One Thing, It's Your Mother" by Julia Sweeney. On my own, I am reading "Simple Abundance" daily, and our next book club book is "The Silent Wife."
(If you were an "-aholic" what would that be?) If I were an "-aholic" I would definitely be a Mt. Dew- or Frappuccino-aholic! Sadly, I already am, and I keep trying to reform myself...so far, with limited success :(
(When you were a child, what did you dream of being?) When I was a child I dreamed of being an artist or a dancer. Unfortunately, I don't have a natural gift for fine art (unless it has been latent all these years.) But my daughter is a professional dancer (and yes, I absolutely do live vicariously through her.)
(Did you do it?) I was an interior designer for 18 years, so that is pretty artistic. But I believe I missed my true calling as a graphic designer, journalist or editor.
And now, the 11 facts about myself...
1. I have very eclectic taste in music. My typical playlist may include Michael Buble, Usher, Incubus, Rascal Flatts, lots of oldies from the 70's, and Chris Botti, just to name a few!
2. I HATE winter and feeling cold! (But I collect snowflakes - not the real ones, haha!)
3. I kind-of suck at cooking and gardening. But I decorate a pretty awesome Christmas tree :)
4. I am an only child and I REALLY enjoy my "alone" time. On the other hand, I'd love to have a sibling.
5. I read lots of motivational and self-improvement books, I love quotes, and I really enjoy Oprah's Super Soul Sunday.
6. I really wish I had gotten a graduate degree, and I always loved school. At the time I should/could have been pursuing a higher degree, I was pouring all of my energy and resources into my children. I would love to work on a college campus, though. (Maybe in an Admissions office...college students fascinate me.)
7. I am a grammar and spelling Nazi. I should probably be an English teacher.
8. In college, I had a Rod Stewart hairstyle for awhile, and I wore loafers and button-down oxford shirts. Wow, can you even visualize how stylish I was? ;)
9. I played both the piano and the violin from the ages of 7-18. I basically haven't touched either one since then. (Pretty sure I was doing these things mostly to please my mother.)
10. I didn't have my first pedicure until I was almost 50 years old! That fact is both a little sad and a little embarrassing. It shows just how ridiculously frugal I used to be. But now I have learned that taking care of ourselves is not selfish, but healthy.
11. I have changed and grown (for the better) more in the past 3 years than in the 49 years prior.
Now you know a little bit more about me. Stay tuned as I announce my awesome blogger nominees in a few days...